Friday, December 11, 2009

Cosmphobia

The important things I've learned from my Astronomy class that I will now pass on to you, dear reader:
  • "What can science offer instead of the thriller of terror? Counter-intuitive phenomena -Time intertwined with space! (General relativity) -If you know the position of a particle accurately you can not know its speed accurately - Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle (Quantum Mechanics) Without these scientific truths your cell phone would NOT work"
  • Massive Stars live fast & Die Young
  • Black Holes are a region of space-time where the gravitation becomes overwhelming and the curvature of space-time is so great that the space "folds" over itself
  • Outside the event horizon of a black hole, it is possible to move forwards and backwards in space but only forwards in time. In the event horizon of a black hole, it is only possible to move forwards in space, but backwards and forwards in time.
  • The Universe is expanding into nothingness
  • This is a picture of a planetary nebula, a stage for a star the size of the sun:
Isn't it pretty?
I'll just leave you with this little mindfuck:


Ok exam in 58 minutes

2 comments:

Natalie said...

That ten dimensions video changed my entire world. The worst thing is I know all this stuff already from watching NOVA on YouTube.

Stefanie said...

you should write out that riddle you told me