Friday, April 10, 2009

Winnipeg's Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives

Ok, you guys.
I'm obsessed with Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives.  If Guy Fieri blessed Winnipeg with his Godly presence, which places do you think he'd feature?  
These are my choices:
Half Moon in Lockport
Not in Winnipeg technically but Guy usually does stops along the way.  Holy shit this place is sooo fun.  It's in competition with near-by Skinners to be like the epic Manitoba hot dog.  But I don't really like Skinners.  Half Moon is 100x better, with it's little arcade games.  More so than the food the appeal is the fun summer-y ness.  I can't wait to stop off here for fries & ice cream on the way home from the beach at Bird's Hill this summer.
VJs on Main

I don't really eat burgers, but if I'm going to, they are going to be from here.  My dad loves VJs and eats there way too much, and is developing heart problems as a result.  That's how you know it's good.
Salisbury House
I don't think this really needs an explanation.  Winnipeg icon.  The other day I texted Natalie and said "I can't really comprehend a culture without Salisbury House." We both agreed it's so strange and foreign that people don't understand Sals.  Fuck, I would do anything for a Cheese, Bacon & Egg nip right now.
Tell me what I've missed!

Edit: Dairi Wip

The oddly spelt name of this drive-in is easily forgiven when you get some food from here.  It's another totally awesome, Greek-owned drive-in in the same vein as VJs.  Same deal with your good burgers & fries.

19 comments:

Natalie said...

DAIRYWHIP

But then again, it's more of a take-out place, isn't it?

Kylie said...

Yeah I second dairy whip! That show is so addicting, I remember watching about 4 episodes in a row to avoid studying! lol
And yeah the library was St John's, smarty pants! How'd you guess? I've never been in that secret area, its now my new fav spot i beleive

<3<3<3

Katina said...

First of all, it's called Dairi Whip.
Second of all, I didn't include it because I didn't want to be too biased towards the Greeks.
But I might have to edit to include it?

Natalie said...

I thought maybe it was WIP but I put the H to be safe. Apparently not.

Emma said...

Half Moon = SO MUCH BETTER then Skinners.
Skinners is an embarrassing joke.

I've never been to Dairi Whip though. This summer it will happen.

Meghan and Lana said...

Not really a drive in, but what about Nick's Inn in Headingly?

Also - Red Top I think it's called is unreal. They charge you for extra ketchup though which can run up the tab pretty quick.

Lana

Katina said...

I JUST GOT BACK FROM VJs OMG AMAZING.

My aunt & uncle own Nick's Inn. This Greek bias is ridiculous. But there are always lots of Greeks on DD&D.

Natalie said...

RED TOP. Do it Katina. That place is unreal.

dear dukes said...

What about Albert St. Burgers?

HELLO

KindredEsprit said...

Just came across this. FYI Alber St Burgers closed and re-opened with new owners as White Star Diner. *super* cute retro place! AMAZING pulled pork sandwich!!!

I find it hard to pick one favourite burger place. Besides VJ's & HalfMoon, I love North Star Drive-In on McGregor (across from Alycia's... wicked Veggie burger!) and White Top Drive-In (Manitoba & Salter).

Kuldeep said...

I have study in Canada and i am working in a Hotel part time. I am studying and work also in Canada.


work and study

Anonymous said...

hands down dairi wip,i have been to almost every greek burger place in the city.Guy would definately come to winnipeg especially for this reason.there are no other places in canada or the states that make a fat boy the way we do.lots of shredded lettuce and mayo.

Anonymous said...

I heard Dairi Wip was good so I tried it. Maybe they were having a refrigerator problems, but their burger patty was a processed piece of cardboard. No comparison to VJ's.

Anonymous said...

Super Boys on Main Street. that said, they need to clean the joint! A GREAT burger made in a slop house

Anonymous said...

I'd say "Barney Gargles" in Selkirk should definitely be on the list. As well as Alicia's on Main Street. Their perogies are the best!

Anonymous said...

If their is one place worthy of being on TV in Winnipeg it's Baraka Pita Bakery at 1783 Main street. The other places I've been to most of them, you can find a burger joint like those in any city but I have yet to see another Lebanese restaurant. The food is so month watering it's crazy.

Anonymous said...

I agree. Baraka's the best.

Anonymous said...

All of these places are AWESOME!
but i dont think he'd visit a salsbury house cause there's so many... I must say though there's this great place downtown called Gaberniks Cafe, and their food is soo good! If any of you want to go there, go to Portage avenue near main street, and you shall find Gaberniks! There is ultimately one above ground, and one that's on the concourse level of the RBC building. Very amazing place... You gotta try thier food, its amazing!

Anonymous said...

Howdy, I think your blog could be having browser
compatibility issues. When I take a look at your
web site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it's got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, fantastic blog!

Also visit my website :: chapter 7 bankruptcy florida