Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas Comes but Once a Year

If you're like me, and I hope that you are, you are fucking crazy over holidays.  Like, if you're like me, you go nuts getting into the spirit of holidays and going out of your way to squeeze every last festive ounce out of all seasonal activities.  After milking Halloween and Nov. 25 (Soon to be the intergalactic holiday of Empress Katina) Christmas comes around, and it is the crown jewel of events.Now, I like to watch a lot of holiday movies and listen to a lot of Christmas music to become completely absorbed in holiday festivities.
So in a few blogs before Christmas I'd like to spread the che
er sharing my absolute favs from my childhood until today.
I'd like to start with 'A Chipmunk Christmas', definitely one of the best holiday movies ever made.  Of course, I mean the 80s version, not the 2007 version with David Cross and Matthew Grey Gubler, although I'm sure it's swell.
The story is as timeless as the Chipmunk's musical styling:
Alvin, the leader of a famous musical rodent trio, gives his golden echo harmonica to a boy dying of cholera.  Alvin has to raise money to 
buy a new harmonica to play a solo at Carnegie Hall on Christmas eve.  Hilarity ensues.  Seriously, there are wise cracks in this movie I doubt I appreciated as a child (Dave wanting to apologize to Alvin, who he fears he has been to hard on about Alvin's wanting to buy himself a gift and checks on Alvin who is dreaming and calling out "MONEYYY MONNEYYY MOOONNEYYY")
Mrs Claus buys him a new one, and Tommy (the aforementioned sick boy) is cured by Alvin's kindness.
A total tear jerker.
So, obviously, the soundtrack (volume 2) has been a staple to my Christmas' since as long as I can remember.  The songs totally get me in the Christmas mood, and I don't even find the Chipmunks voices annoying AT ALL (is that so bad?) I've included my two personal favorites for your listening pleasure: